Monday, January 7, 2008

An Unexcitingly Titled Blog

1. What is one principle that guides you in life? This may be something you are consciously aware of as a force in your life, or it could be something unintentional. Some examples of guiding principles could be "I value education," "I value family above everything else," or "I won't be happy without money." There is no condemnation for your guiding principle. State your principle, then explain how it shapes your life. Also talk about why that is a guiding principle and why it is important to you. Write at least 100 words.

I believe happiness is the key to life and that people have a right to be happy. I believe that it takes a lot of effort and work to become happy. I think that accumulation of material things and wealth doesn’t make happiness, but inhibits happiness because of human nature, one always wants more than one has. Rather, I think that helping/serving others and becoming selfless makes one happier. Just look at African tribes and how much happiness they have. They barely have anything yet by helping each other and working together, they become happier. I think one of the main problems of our society is depression and unhappiness. I hope I can become a happier person through life.

2. What is one news event from the past year or so that has had some sort of impact on you, changed the way you viewed the world, or made you think. Explain what the event was and take us through the process of how it changed you. Write at least 75 words about it.

I believe the news event that impacted my life the most was 9/11. I was only in sixth grade when it happened. I was inn art class working on a drawing when someone from the hallway told our teacher that something happened to the world trade centers. At first, I didn’t believe it and I was a little confused. My art teacher turned it on and there was the proof. I was in disbelief. All this time I felt safe in the US, but now anything could happen to me. This event opened my eyes and made me look at the world differently.

3. What is one thing you hope to accomplish in 2008? Talk about why it is so important to you, as well as how you want to accomplish it. Write at least 100 words about it. If you can't say anything more about what you want to accomplish, write about other things to help you write more.

I hope/expect to graduate from high school, obviously, because I just was accepted to St. Olaf College. I also hope to win at the regional robotics competition and get into the national competition in Atlanta. Since I join the robotics team last year, I always wanted to have the robot we build to win a regional. Last year, we got to the semifinals in the regional and qualified for the national. I hope this year we do better in the regional and qualify in the national competition.

No comments: