Monday, December 10, 2007

Luigi Pirandello, playwright: "A man will die, a writer, the instrument of creation: but what he has created will never die!"

1. How important is theme in what you write? Does a great piece of literature need to express an idea? Explain your thoughts on the matter using examples from things you've read. In your response, address the opposing viewpoint. (Write at least 100 words.)

I think it is very important to include a theme in my writing or any writing for that matter because theme gives writing a purpose. People rarely write for the sake of writing. Most people write for a purpose and convey a message through a theme to the reader. Same thing goes for me. I don’t usually write just for writing because that would be dull and uninteresting. Theme gives writing a deeper meaning and more interesting. In my poems I wrote, I included a theme within each of them in my portfolio. In my poem “time”, I included the theme that time affects people in many ways and governs our lives.

2. Great works of literature can last a long time. Jane Austen's novels (including Pride and Prejudice, Emma, and Sense and Sensibility) are still popular almost 200 years after they were first published. Anne Bradstreet's poems have survived about 400 years. The works of Greek playwright Euripides (who wrote Medea) have survived for over 2000 years. What do you think causes great literary works to live forever? Could you ever foresee yourself writing something that lasts that long? (Write at least 75 words.)

Those literary works last forever because they have a profound effect on society. For example, Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen criticized the upper class of society for their customs and ways. Many of Greeks philosophers or play writer are remembered because their works are the most ancient in western culture as well as first to venture in philosophy. Usually works that especially controversial in the time written or popular for a given literary period is remembered by society.

3. If you could have one long-lasting impact on the world around you, what would you want it to be? Explain why that is important to you and how, as a writer, you could have the chance to make that impact. (Write at least 100 words.)

As a writer, if I had the chance to change anything in the world I would eliminate all current deadly diseases by writing the antibodies needed to defeat them in a manual.
However, in the current realm of possibility, as a writer I would write about all the truths of the world, how things are the way they are. I would go to the most oppressed, the exploited and the poor people of the world and write about how they got the way they are and what can be done to help them. I would make it so that ignorant people of the world would realize the problems of these people so that the world can be a better place.

No comments: